Reports to: Director of Communications
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
Salary Range: $50,000-$60,000
Closing Date: Open until filled
Location: Gatineau, QC
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Media Relations Coordinator will bring expertise to the writing and editing and posting of social media content, media monitoring, and digital storytelling and planning. The Media Relations Coordinator will also assist in the development and timely delivery of initiatives that support NWAC in its communications, public relations and messaging strategies.
The Media Relations Coordinator is involved in the development and implementation of NWAC’s digital messaging related to advocacy, political messaging and brand integrity. They are also monitoring media for the organization.
The NWAC Media Relations Coordinator will:
- Monitor media and all content relating to the issues and policies relating to NWAC’s advocacy – domestic and international;
- Maintain issues and political fluency;
- Assist in communication of strategies or messages from senior leadership;
- Assist with the planning of weekly social media and digital content;
- Develop and manage content for social media;
- Assisting in various digital marketing and communications initiatives;
- Ability to adapt and adjust to changes;
- Assist in the development of digital storytelling tools (i.e. Instagram, podcasting, etc.);
- Other related duties as required from time to time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or equivalent media industry experience;
- Minimum three years experience in communications managing social media platforms, developing content for multiple platforms;
- Experience in journalistic principles, grammar and communications guidelines;
- Proficient English language writing, editing and speaking is essential.
- Some knowledge and understanding of Indigenous Peoples in Canada and internationally, their cultures, histories and traditions;
- Knowledge and understanding of contemporary concerns and issues in the doing of Indigenous business in Canada;
- Understanding and knowledge of Indigenous issues, norms and standards relevant to the promotion and protection of Indigenous women’s rights;
- Some knowledge of key issues impacting Indigenous women, girls and gender diverse people in Canada and internationally; and
- Some understanding of social policy (including violence prevention and impacts, health, housing, etc.).
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills in both plain language and academic styles;
- Knowledge of Social Media principles for business;
- Strong understanding of best practices for communications and social media messaging;
- Ability to work in a team and good interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of graphic design, including use of Adobe Creative Cloud;
- Ability to take directions and work independently;
- Effective critical / analytical thinking, and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to apply sound judgment and make decisions within the area, often on short notice; and
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and organize work effectively and under pressure.
The employee must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of the Social Media Coordinator. The employee must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Respect for and understanding of Indigenous women’s issues in Canada;
- Time management and punctuality;
- Dependable and understanding of the importance of meeting deadlines;
- Honest, sincere, considerate and truthful;
- Discretion with sensitive and confidential information;
- Understanding of the importance of quality work;
- Approachable, articulate and determined; and
- Resilient, proactive and positive.
Fluency in English is essential. Bilingualism is a strong asset.
Preference will be given to individuals of Indigenous ancestry, please self-identify.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accommodations will be provided at all stages of the hiring process. We ask applicants to make their needs known in advance.
Please submit resume and covering letter to: email@example.com