*Please submit up to 3 examples of your writing along with your application*
Reports to: Director of Communications
Salary: $50,000.00-$60,000.00 per year
Closing Date: Open until filled
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Editor / Writer will bring expertise to the writing and editing of briefing notes, press releases, reports, social media content and other written materials. The Editor / Writer will also assist in the development and timely delivery of written materials that involve initiatives that support NWAC in its communications, public relations and messaging strategies.
The NWAC Editor / Writer will:
- Evaluate the suitability of reports, briefing notes, press releases for publication, or electronic media and recommend or make changes in content, style and organization;
- Read and edit copy to be published to detect and correct errors in spelling, grammar and syntax, and shorten or lengthen copy as space or time requires;
- Confer with the Manager of Communication regarding revisions to copy;
- Plan and implement a layout or format of copy according to space or time allocations and significance of copy;
- Review and edit documents, reports, letters and other relevant materials from the various NWAC units;
- Assist in communication of strategies or messages from senior leadership;
- Ability to assist in creating media releases for NWAC when required;
- Ability to develop and manage content for social media;
- Ability to write magazine and feature articles, op-eds, brochures, leaflets, and collateral materials relevant to campaigns and projects;
- Ability to develop and maintain an editorial calendar;
- Assisting in various digital marketing and communications initiatives;
- Ability to adapt and adjust to changes;
- Other related duties as required from time to time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BSc / BA in journalism, communications and English
- 3-5 years of experience in professional writing/ editing
- Experience with NGOs, organizations, interest groups and government or government agencies or business/corporate entities.
- Relevant experience working or volunteering with Indigenous peoples, groups, or organizations is an asset;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Some knowledge and understanding of Indigenous Peoples in Canada and internationally, including their cultures, histories and traditions.
- Knowledge and understanding of contemporary concerns and current issues of Indigenous businesses in Canada;
- Understanding and knowledge of Indigenous issues, norms and standards relevant to the promotion and protection of Indigenous women’s rights;
- Some knowledge of key issues impacting Indigenous women and girls in Canada and internationally;
- Some understanding of social policy (including violence prevention and impacts, health, housing, etc.);
- Strong writing, editing and verbal communication skills in both plain language and academic styles;
- Excellent knowledge of WordPress;
- Knowledge of Social Media principles for business;
- Strong attention to detail, editing and proofreading capabilities;
- Strong understanding of best practices for communications and social media messaging;
- Ability to work in a team and good interpersonal skills;
- Ability to take directions and work independently;
- Ability to apply sound judgment and make decisions within the area, often on short notices;
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and organize work effectively and under pressure;
- Excellent knowledge of technical documentation best practice;
- Bilingualism is an asset
NWAC strives to be an employer that properly resources and supports all employees. To that end NWAC, endeavors to provide a clean, safe and secure workplace with various support mechanisms and operational flexibility. The following list describes assumptions about working conditions:
- Remote work
- Overtime may be required at times; (these hours must be pre-approved by the Manager)
- Employees are expected to multi-task with possible interruptions from colleagues, management or other persons.
Preference will be given to First Nations, Metis, Inuit and women and gender diverse of Indigenous ancestry, please self-identify.
Interviews may be held in person or by video conference.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accommodations will be provided at all stages of the hiring process. We ask applicants to make their needs known in advance.
Please submit resume and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org