Closing Date: Open until filled
Location: National Capital Region, candidate may work remotely during COVID-19
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As an Assistant Graphic Designer, you are a visual storyteller who understands the holistic power of brand cohesion. You’ll be responsible for creating graphic assets tailored to multiple touchpoints to clearly convey the organization’s message.
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly organized, ambitious, and creative individual who wants to make an impact on a growing organization, alongside an evolving in-house design team.
The successful candidate will have a desire to learn, high attention to detail, a passion for solving problems of all shapes and sizes with informed design, the ability to understand and adapt design systems, and an in-depth understanding of production processes and standard file formats across digital and print media.
You must also have a deep understanding of typography with the ability to build mechanicals and templates on various platforms. This will include experience with image editing, managing heavy Photoshop files, and brand guideline development, to name a few.
You should excel in collaborating with cross-functional colleagues to build engaging, creative, user-centered design solutions that reflect NWAC’s brand and philosophy. Also vital for this position are quick to design reflexes, excellent time-management, impeccable communication skills, and the ability to work in a fast-paced, ever evolving environment.
- Design electronic and printed materials for trade exhibits, displays, publications, marketing materials, websites, and other channels.
- Collaborate closely with art directors and designers to confidently create production-ready, multifaceted designs.
- Extend the brand in creative and cohesive ways; expand graphic language.
- Create, and contribute to, guidelines and best practices.
- Prepare, and deliver, files based on specs-per-platforms.
- Work closely with core brand management to catalog, collect, and upload content to NWAC’s cloud and drive sharing platforms.
- Create and produce JPEGs, PDFs, video, clip art, graphs, charts, thumbnail images, and other design elements.
- Create electronic page layouts using publishing software.
- Conceptualize and design flyers, advertisements, brochures, logos, signage, and other exhibits/displays.
- Integrate multimedia concepts with technical graphic design elements, as appropriate.
- Develop specifications and standards for printing and other production.
- Identify, source, and select vendors/service providers for printing and publication services, as necessary (e.g. illustrators, printers, typesetters, photographers, etc.).
- Select appropriate media and materials for each project (e.g. paper, ink, etc.).
- Inspect proofs for accuracy and adherence to corporate standards.
- Provide technical graphics assistance to production personnel, content authors, publishers, clients, and/or vendors and service providers.
- Participate in marketing strategic planning meetings on a project-by-project basis.
- Coordinate and maintain a library of graphics, media, digital records, and other enterprise content.
- Where necessary, write and edit marketing copy, web copy, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of high school diploma or GED.
- Mastery of the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Sharp color, layout, and typographic skills.
- Well versed in the latest graphic design methods, practices, techniques, and associated principles.
- A stellar portfolio demonstrating design versatility, including experience creating and delivering digital and print marketing campaigns.
- Demonstration of existing merchandise design and product specification development for manufacturing is a strong asset.
- Keen sense of organization, self-reliance, and flexibility in adapting to last minute changes.
- Proven ability to balancing short-term and long-term projects.
- Solid design and conceptual skills.
- Strong knowledge of page layout and photographic requirements.
- Proficient understanding of printing and publishing standards.
- Self-motivated; ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to accept, and integrate, constructive feedback.
- Effective deadline management and project management skills.
- Ability to identify, select, and coordinate vendors for printing needs
- Expertise in interpersonal communications; both for internal and external communications, including a broad range of stakeholders and/or content owners.
- Excel in analyzing and interpreting user requirements.
- Strong interpretation skills for analyzing technical information to create images.
- Some knowledge and understanding of Indigenous Peoples in Canada, including Indigenous cultures, histories, and traditions.
- Knowledge and understanding of contemporary concerns and issues related to Indigenous communities in Canada.
- Understanding and knowledge of Indigenous norms and standards relevant to the promotion and protection of Indigenous women’s and 2SLGBTQQAI+’s rights.
- Knowledge of key issues impacting Indigenous women, girls, and gender diverse people in Canada, and internationally.
- Awareness of social policy affecting Indigenous women and 2SLGHBQQAI+ communities (including violence prevention, impacts, health, housing, etc.).
The successful candidate must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of the Assistant Graphic Designer. The employee must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Respect for, and understanding of, Indigenous women’s and 2SLGBTQQAI+ issues in Canada.
- Time management and punctuality.
- Understanding the importance of meeting deadlines.
- Honest, sincere, considerate, and truthful.
- Discretion with sensitive and confidential information.
- Understanding of the importance of quality work.
- Approachable, articulate and determined.
- Resilient, proactive, and positive.
Fluency in English is essential. Bilingualism is a strong asset.
Preference will be given to individuals of Indigenous ancestry; please self-identify.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations will be provided at all stages of the hiring process. We ask applicants to make their needs known in advance.
Please submit resume and covering letter to: email@example.com